Wednesday, April 25, 2018

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish

So Douglas Adams and A Perfect Circle join hands in this little beauty from A Perfect Circle's album Eat The Elephant. "So long, and thanks for all the fish" was the last thing the dolphins said when they left earth just before it was demolished - and the title of the fourth book in the five-book trilogy The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. If you haven't read it yet, you should. (And yes, I know there is a sixth volume, but since it wasn't written by Douglas Adams, I refuse to formally acknowledge its existence.

But A Perfect Circle. I didn't really click with their music until they released Emotive in 2004. I had their first two albums, Mer de Noms (2000) and Thirteenth Step (2003) as well, and I liked them, but I was more into them because Maynard James Keenan of Tool was the singer. Then Emotive was released, consisting mainly of political cover versions, and their sound was dark on otherwise brighter songs, such as Imagine and (What's So Funny) 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding. The way they transformed songs to their own universe really spoke to me. Then it got quiet. For 14 years. Until Eat The Elephant dropped last Friday. And man, is it good. I am completely smitten with this album - and So Long and Thanks for All the Fish is one of the reasons why.


No comments: