Monday, July 18, 2016

July 18 - Molde Canticle

Today's song of the day is really not a song - but a lyrical musical piece by Jan Garbarek, who is one of many Norwegian jazz musicians who find themselves on the ECM label, which really specializes in a cold and roomy sound that really matches the Norwegian soul (what Norwegians characterize as folkesjela). I am thinking this week might give us more of ECM's music with Norwegian musicians, but I am not positive quite yet. I have always thought Jan Garbarek to be overrated, but I have a couple of albums of his that I really like, and I Took Up The Runes, where the studio version of Molde Canticle is found is one of them.

Now Jan Garbarek's jazz cred is undisputed, having played with greats like Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden amongst others. He is a virtuoso player, but I am not always enthused by what he plays. However, Molde Canticle really matches my tastes. I believe he wrote it for Molde International Jazz Festival in 1990, but I have not been able to verify it. Since the studio version I found on YouTube only had pictures from Poland, I thought this live version would work for today.



No comments: