Saturday, July 02, 2016

July 2 - Hiding All Away

So I love Nick Cave, but I had all but given up on him when he in 2004 released the double album Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus. He had gotten more boring than Sting as he regressed with every album from The Boatman's Call in 1997. Maybe his personal life got more settled after his 1999 marriage and subsequent relocation to the Brighton area on the southern coast of England. I don't know, but 2003's Nocturama was a genuine snooze fest, so my expectations to this new double album were low. Very low. Below floor level low. But luckily I did pick it up, and I was blown away. His fury was back - and with a vengeance. The best example is from the song Hiding All Away, with its furious chorus: "There is a war coming". Indeed.



No comments: