Sunday, July 31, 2016

July 31 - Beethoven's 7th Symphony (Op. 92, A Major), II: Allegretto

For the longest time, my only love of Beethoven was the lead theme of the first movement of his 5th symphony (Fate). Yes, I had heard his 9th symphony, but I have always found that a little too pompous. However, thanks to Svein, I discovered this piece, which is absolutely stellar. I remember him playing it to me, but I could not for the life of me remember what it was after I left his parents' house (this was a long, long time ago). I kept thinking it was Mozart, because I think he also played me Requiem at that visit, but I finally figured out that it was Beethoven.

While I can appreciate classical music, I have never been its biggest fan. However, The second movement of Beethoven's 7th symphony is as good as it gets. It starts soft and understated, and just builds and builds. It blows me away every time I hear it, and today seems like a very good day to play this piece of music. And - for effective use in film, you should also watch Mr. Holland's Opus, which is one of my favorite films about music and the impact it can have on people.


No comments: