Saturday, November 12, 2016

November 12 - Interstellar Overdrive

Last weekend I went to the movies. Doctor Strange is the newest Marvel superhero to take the silver screen, and I was blown away by it. It was a movie like Ant Man, Guardians of the Galaxy or Deadpool in that it took a smaller character (no pun intended with respect to Ant Man here) that not too many outside of diehard Marvel fans are aware of and created a movie that simply blew me away. Of course, the secret to be blown away is often low expectations (which absolutely was the case for Ant Man and Guardians of the Galaxy), but my expectations to Doctor Strange were quite high - yet they were still exceeded so much that I caught it not once, but twice last weekend (the second time I saw it in IMAX 3D... Awesome). Benedict Cumberbatch is one of two actors I could imagine in the lead for the movie - the other one being Hugh Laurie...

Anyway, there is a car scene early in the movie that is accompanied by a crushing guitar riff that I knew I knew, I just couldn't place it. Not all that different from yesterday's song - movies and tv are great places to pick up new songs - or see old songs in a new light. After some help by Google, I realized it was the opening riff to Interstellar Overdrive by Pink Floyd from their Piper At The Gates Of Dawn album, released in 1967. And while this might get too meandering for some of you, I am still thinking it is worth listening to.


No comments: