Sunday, February 14, 2016

February 14 - Love Is Blindness

So, today is Valentine's Day... That means that I have to be romantic - and so I found a love song. Not necessarily the most traditional love song, but one that still has elements of being somewhat difficult to listen to - and to me it is difficult because The Edge's guitar solo is so vulnerable that it hurts every time I listen to it. It is filled with false starts and imperfect notes, but it shows so clearly that being a virtuoso doing technically spectacular runs left and right is no match for strong emotions.

The lyrics are filled with images alternating between desire and despair, and this song evoke some of the same emotions in me that Sehnsucht does. This love that Bono sings about is all-encompassing, it is intensely present and highly destructive - "a dangerous idea that almost makes sense." I do like good love songs, and this to me is one of the best ones ever written.


No comments: