Tuesday, February 23, 2016

February 23 - Here Comes The Flood

It's funny now that I look at it how this blog mirrors my musical whimsies - and also shows even me how much I really lean on music to get me through everything. Yesterday, we got the great news that the invasive cancer, which is what they really are worried about, was only 2 mm, so they don't need to do anything more than what they already had done - no chemo needed - and radiation was already ruled out. So my tears finally came - and they were joyful tears It was the relief of all the worry an concern I had carried with me, so the dam finally broke when it could break.

To celebrate, I went to my favorite record store, which only is three blocks from the hospital. Vertigo Music is a great place to visit, so I did. I was looking for King Crimson's USA, and as I found it, I also found Robert Fripp's solo album Exposure. I picked both of them up, and as I was waiting for my Chinese food (I was done with hospital food for a little bit), I noticed that one of the songs on the album was Here Comes The Flood. I knew it as a Peter Gabriel song from his first solo album, where Robert Fripp played guitar, and sure enough, Peter Gabriel on piano and vocals and Fripp on Frippertronics created a haunting version of the song. It is diametrically opposite to the massive arrangement on the original version, but not quite as stripped down as the first version I heard, which was on the compilation album Shaking the Tree released in 1990. That is the version that still brings tears to my eyes, so it was the perfect song to find yesterday, and the perfect song to play today.


1 comment:

Svein Sjøvold said...

June 26, Philadelphia. Just sayin'