Monday, August 01, 2016

August 1 - Break On Through

So earlier this year, I did album closers as a theme for a week. This week, the theme is opening tracks on albums. That in itself would be too easy of a task - there are tons of albums with great opening tracks - so I am limiting it to opening tracks on debut albums. In other words, the first song the bands and artists ever put on an album.

The first song is really a no-brainer. While I don't know how and where I listened to The Doors for the first time, I can tell you without doubt that I first heard their 1967 debut album simply called The Doors at Vegard's house. He is one of my old friends whose record collection has had an immense impact on me and my musical taste. I loved just browsing his collection, finding new music all the time.

When it comes to The Doors, they were one of his favorite bands. Jim Morrison's poetry was something he really could relate to - and the mix of music and poetry was second to none. As for debut albums, I don't know that it can be done much better, and there is no doubt about them being a true musical force from the first note of Break On Through. The groove they start out with is infectious, but when they get to the chorus, "tried to run, tried to hide, break on through to the other side" the song explodes. They would keep on experimenting with dynamics throughout their career, but it all started with this song.


No comments: