Sunday, January 17, 2016

January 17 - Sunday Morning

And on the 17th day he rested. I think it is time to really just sit back and relax and listen to the song that opened a very classic album from 1967: The Velvet Underground and Nico. The Velvet Underground was a very artsy musical collective. Lou Reed, John Cale, Sterling Morrison, and Moe Tucker. Lou Reed was a great rock and roll poet (heck, any kind of poet), NYC born and bred; John Cale came from Wales to study classical music and brought a very different musical sentiment to the table; and Sterling Morrison on guitar and Moe Tucker on drums rounded out the classic Velvet lineup. For their first album, they also brought in German Nico to sing, and her voice seems to fit the music perfectly.

I am no VU historian, and I was a late comer to Velvet Underground - I was well into my 30s before I truly appreciated them. Don't get me wrong, I had heard them before, and thought I liked them - but I didn't listen to the full debut album until I was in my 30s. Please listen to the lyrics - I find them slightly unsettling and a great contrast to the serenity of the melody - which in turn makes it the perfect opener to the album. I have a feeling I will revisit this album later this year - but that is still to be determined. But for now, sit back and enjoy this Sunday morning.


No comments: