Monday, January 25, 2016

January 25 - Grebo Guru

With this next song, I have nothing but fragments floating around my mind, which makes it a great way to start off an oddities week. This week will be all about individual songs that are a little bit "out there" - and either from one off projects or simply individual songs that really connected me for a reason or another.

So, back to today's song... I know that the EP I had is the same EP you see in the YouTube video, which to me is an absolutely awesome way of showcasing this song (this version even has the static, which is great). This EP was published with the music newspaper Sounds, and it appears that it would have been 1987. I would love to be able to see the cover of Sounds to see why I purchased it, but I really don't remember. What I do remember is the EP - which had four artists on it: Crazyhead, Pop Will Eat Itself, The Georgia Satellites, and The Jack Rubies. I have very limited memories of the other songs, but partly because of the title - and partly because it simply is a good song, Grebo Guru stuck. I had friends who insisted on hearing it over and over again, so it became a minor hit among a very small group of friends.

After finding this version as a track on the 25th anniversary edition of Pop Will Eat Itself's album Box Frenzy (originally released in 1987), I am very happy to present you with Grebo Guru. May your day be bright and shiny!


No comments: