Saturday, August 20, 2016

August 20 - Let There Be Rock

I love early AC/DC. I don't have anything against AC/DC with Brian Johnson as their singer, but I really love the music they created with Bon Scott. That being said, I think my first meeting with their music must have been in 1982 or 1983. In the early 80s, the Norwegian TV station NRK (the only tv station at that time) would air concerts on the night leading into May 1, supposedly because there had been a lot of unsavory gatherings of youth in the bigger urban areas that date in years before with vandalism and general drunk and disorderly conduct. The solution: Give them music on the tv so they would have to gather at homes instead (this was before too many people had VCRs). I stayed up to watch this show, and distinctly remember watching AC/DC playing Let's Get It Up - and I really liked that.

But that was before I heard them with Bon Scott. To me, the big breakthrough of liking AC/DC came when I heard the title track from their 1977 album, Let There Be Rock. It is sheer rock'n'roll brilliance. It makes me stomp my feet, bop my head, and bring out my air guitar. Why? Because Tchaikovsky had the news (a nod right back to Roll Over Beethoven). Ah - forget it. Just Let There Be Rock.


No comments: