Tuesday, August 23, 2016

August 23 - Supper's Ready

At almost 23 minutes, the closing track of Foxtrot, still stands as the longest piece of music Genesis recorded. Foxtrot was the second album recorded by the classic line-up featuring Peter Gabriel on vocals (and flute, don't forget about the flute), Steve Hackett on guitars, Phil Collins on drums, Tony Banks on keyboards, and Mike Rutherford on bass. to me, this is my favorite lineup of theirs - I think their music was the most exciting when these five got together - and I am positive that when I get around to doing my series of bands that were better before (they got famous), which I am certain is about to happen, I will have to feature even more Genesis. However, today we are talking about longer songs, and Supper's Ready is a song in seven parts:

a. "Lover's Leap" (3:47)
b. "The Guaranteed Eternal Sanctuary Man" (1:56)
c. "Ikhnaton and Itsacon and Their Band of Merry Men" (3:59)
d. "How Dare I Be So Beautiful?" (1:22)
e. "Willow Farm" (4:33)
f. "Apocalypse in 9/8 (Co-Starring the Delicious Talents of Gabble Ratchet)" (5:13)
g. "As Sure as Eggs Is Eggs (Aching Men's Feet)"  (2:04)


Of course, the parts of the different parts are as delightfully whimsical as Genesis' stage shows were at that point in their career, with Peter Gabriel in full dress-up mode. I will strongly encourage you to go on this little journey with Genesis - just remember, Supper's Ready.


No comments: