Monday, August 22, 2016

August 22 - You Fool No One

I want to go gong this week. Really long. No song will be under 10 minutes long. Just to prepare you.

I have drawn to long songs for a very long time. I think I'll blame Rush and their 2112, as I think that was the starting point, along with Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Both of those songs were scripted, and while that is the case with a lot of the music this week, I'll start out with a song that reaches past the 15-minute mark through improvisation. I love that side of Deep Purple, and while I love the Mark II line-up of Richie Blackmore on guitar, Roger Glover on bass, Ian Paice on drums, Ian Gillan on vocals, and the late, great Jon Lord on keyboards, I really like Mark III as well, with David Coverdale on vocals and Glenn Hughes on bass and vocals.

As a matter of fact, this line-up's Made In Europe was my very first meeting with Deep Purple. Today's song was one it took me a long time to like, but when it clicked for me, it really stuck. Here is Deep Purple with You Fool No One.



No comments: