Tuesday, July 18, 2017

2017 - July 18 - Laundromat

30 years ago this summer, I was on a language holiday. I got to spend 3 weeks in England, staying with a host family, taking classes in the daytime, and going on trips and generally immersing myself in the language throughout the weeks. I already wrote about how I was going with my cousin, Stein, or so we thought until we realized that although we both had selected Isle of Thanet, which is located in Kent at the southeastern tip of England, the group leaving from Oslo went to Ramsgate, while my group, which left from Trondheim, went to Margate. I have even talked a little bit about how I found an album by Irish bluesman Rory Gallagher in the record collection of my host family - and that is where I am ending up today.

I have been looking at pictures of record covers, and while I was convinced there was a lot of blue on the cover of the album they had, the closest I have come is the Live in Europe from the year I was born, 1972. The song that really resonated with me was Laundromat (although I also remember the title Bullfrog Blues, because I thought it was funny...). Of course, after moving into a house with some serious plumbing issues this May, the song's title represents a place I have spent a little too much time this summer...


No comments: