Saturday, July 22, 2017

2017 - July 22 - Heroes

Six years ago today, 69 people ages 14-51 were killed in the attack on Utøya in Norway - although the age range betrays the fact that these were predominantly youth. The average age was 20, and 33 of the 69 were 17 or 18 years old. They were at a youth camp for the Norwegian Labour Party's youth organization held at an island in the Tyrifjord lake not far away from Oslo. The perpetrator, who held islamophobic and far right views, was caught and is currently serving the maximum prison sentence in Norway, which is 21 years. However, his sentence is of such a nature that it can be extended in five year increments if he is found to be a risk to others upon release.

I am positive that there are big and long discussions that could be had regarding whether the sentence is right or not - but that is not what I want to talk about. I want to talk about the 564 people who were gathered at Utøya that July day. The Workers Youth League's (AUF) summer camp is a well known political youth event in Norway, with major politicians giving speeches and holding seminars - in addition to all other possible shenanigans that tend to go on when you have that many youth from fourteen and into their twenties gathered in a relatively secluded area for a week's time.

When I heard the news six years ago, it hit me hard. I never went to Utøya - although I was a member of AUF for a while - but I did do my fair share of political youth camps. My camps were issue based, as I was a member of both DNTU and NGU, Norway's two leading youth teetotaling organizations, until they merged as Juvente 25 years ago today. The thought of idealistic youth, gathering to discuss what they believe in (as well as having fun), being attacked that way felt like an attack on MY summers. On MY values. On MY rights. And while I wasn't personally affected, it still hit me.

And so today, I want to play one of my favorite songs, written by one of my all-time favorite artists, and performed by one of my favorite bands. Robert Fripp, who has led King Crimson pretty much from the beginning, was asked by David Bowie to provide his guitar on his Heroes album from 1977. So 40 years ago, Fripp packed his guitar and travelled to Berlin, to Hansa Studios, where U2 later would return to reinvent themselves on Achtung! Baby, and teamed up with David Bowie and his producer Brian Eno. The result was pure magic. Last year, Fripp returned to Berlin with King Crimson, and they recorded this version of Heroes, and I would like to dedicate this to everyone taking a non-violent stand for everything they believe in, especially our youth. We need people to be active - because while the Washington Post rightfully claims that Democracy Dies In Darkness, democracy also dies with silence and passivity.


No comments: