Monday, January 22, 2018

In Every Dream House (There's A Dream Of Something Else)

OK, so I lied. Kinda. But not quite. I couldn't do a top 5, so I was going to do top 6. Then I realized I definitely had a top 7. And now, here I am with what looks like a top 10. Three more albums could make it a Baker's Dozen, so why not? So... Without further ado, here are my 13 favorite albums of 2017. They are not necessarily the best albums, like I said before, but they are indeed my favorite albums:

  1. Motorpsycho - The Tower
  2. Enslaved - E
  3. Pallbearer - Heartless
  4. Mastodon - Emperor of Sand
  5. Chris Stapleton - From A Room Volume 2
  6. Steven Wilson - To The Bone
  7. Tyminski - Southern Gothic
  8. Robert Plant - Carry Fire
  9. Roger Waters - Is This The Life We Really Want
  10. The Dream Syndicate - How Did I Find Myself Here
  11. Ed Sheeran - ÷
  12. Primus - The Desaturating Seven
  13. Mike Oldfield - Return To Ommadawn
And then there is the other caveat I have: the albums of numbers 2-13 aren't necessarily interchangeable, but they change from day to day. 

BUT - the main thing for me is that Motorpsycho with The Tower once more delivered a great album. It is an album that has been on heavy rotation for me over a long period of time this year. It is their first with drummer Thomas Järmyr - and, contrary to the last time they lost a drummer and decided to release a double album, this is one heck of an album. I think the fact that they did get their drummer aboard before recording it has something to do with it - but for me, that is just pure speculation. However, it does seem like Bent Sæther (bass/vocals) and Hans Magnus Ryan (guitar/vocals) need to play off a live drummer in order to get things to groove properly - and this album grooves big time.  Especially on the track In Every Dream House (There's A Dream of Something Else). The Tower is my favorite album of 2017.


No comments: