Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Nobody's Lonely Tonight

My second runner up for favorite album of the year was Chris Stapleton's Songs From A Room Volume 2. I had insanely high expectations to the first volume, which was released in May last year, due to the greatness of the album Traveller from 2015. Volume 1 did not live up to my expectations - it was good, but not great, so when Volume 2 dropped at the beginning of December, my expectations were down a little bit. But after spending most of December listening to Christmas music (it's just a tradition I have - I load my car with Christmas songs and that's what I play), I finally started listening to it - and it's great. Really great. It has some raucous rockers, some more straightforward country - and then there is this little blues number. Not a traditional 12-bar blues, but definitely a ballad from the blues tradition. Nobody's Lonely Tonight has a bleak outlook on love and what it's all about, but if you listen to the emotion here - and the emotion in the guitar - I dare you to not get goosebumps. This is a live version from Jimmy Kimmel Live - and it showcases just how great a traditional power trio can be: Guitar, bass, and drums - and with the guitarist being a spectacularly emotional singer as well. Wow. Just wow.


No comments: