Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Sacred Horse

My first runner up as favorite album was the new album by Enslaved, simply named E. Progressive metal seems to be the genre they fall under, but the genre is less important to me than the quality of the music, and to me, it is simply outstanding. I have played the opening track, Storm Son, before, but my favorite track after many a listen is Sacred Horse. New keyboard player Håkon Vinje gets a workout that moves my mind in the direction of the late, great Jon Lord on this track, and it really shows how well he fits in with the rest of the band.

Enslaved is a band that mixes clean vocals (also Vinje's duty now) with the growls of Grutle Kjellson (bass/vocals) - and the growls are very unique. Grutle's style is very harsh and not deep enough to be the more traditional Cookie Monster sound, but on E, they fit better than ever. The only other original member is Ivar Bjørnson (guitar and backing vocals), while lead guitarist Terje "Ice Dale" Isdal has been with them since 2002 and drummer Cato Bekkevold has been with them since 2003. Enslaved of 2017 sounds very different from the band that recorded and released Vikingr Veldi in 1994. I love their evolution. I became aware of them with the album Ruun in 2006, and their ability to add in soundscapes and melody in addition to building and building and building on a riff (as heard on today's song) makes them uncannily heavy hitters. Today's song, Sacred Horse is a tour de force of everything I like about them. Enjoy!



No comments: