Sunday, January 28, 2018

Tango

So... I have had a couple of songs on my mind lately. They are sung by the same artist - in this first one, she was in a band, while in tomorrow's song, she was a solo artist doing the soundtrack for one of the most maligned movies in the history of Norwegian cinema (and it was maligned for good reason). We are going back to the 80s right now, and there was this incredibly tall blonde Norwegian singer who just had finished with one band, Veslefrekk, and started a new one called Can Can. The singer's name was Anne Grethe Preuss, and she was (and still is) indeed an artist when it comes to music.

I have been reading up a little bit about Can Can - I knew they only released two albums (En Lek I Forhold and European Rainbow), but what I really read that made perfect sense was that they were more interested in a musical concept than writing very traditional songs. The lyrics are only there to compliment the music - and while the lyrics to today's song, Tango, are great (although you do have to understand Norwegian to see that), it truly is the mood of the music that sucked me in back in 1984 and has stayed with me ever since then. This is simply great.


No comments: