Friday, February 02, 2018

Weak

This is a genre-hopping week, I think. However, today's song is really one of the gems of the 90s. Skunk Anansie was considered an alternative rock band - and their biggest claim to fame was the song Weak from the album Paranoid and Sunburnt from 1995. Their lead singer, Skin, finds what for me is the perfect balance between pain and anger on this song, and what eluded me before is the incredibly warm and bluesy guitar tone on the main riff. It is interesting listening back to some of these songs with ears that have had 20 more years of listening to music. It still hits me emotionally - this was one of my favorite songs of the mid-90s - but I am also appreciating more of the work that went into the different layers of the song. If you had asked me about the guitar sound before listening back to it, I would have sworn they used heavy distortion, but for most of the song that is really light and main guitar is clean. It's funny how memory tricks you from time to time. Oh well - I keep blabbering on when all you really need is to hear this song. Weak by Skunk Anansie is that good!


No comments: