Tuesday, March 01, 2016

March 1 - American Life

1991 was quite the year for music - and for me, the new influences Sissel brought with her from her stay in the US really helped broaden my horizons. Primus was the second band that I really started clicking with, although the date for the release of Sailing the Seas of Cheese really is challenging my memory that she brought it with her from the US. Since she also brought a boyfriend with her, it might have come with him a little later, but I am still 100% positive that I was introduced to Primus through Sissel.

Primus had a lot of the qualities I sought in music. They were quirky, they were spectacular instrumentalists, and the rhythm section took care of both the rhythm and the chords used, which freed up the guitar to experiment with sound and structure in its own time and space. It's not a coincidence that the other band that I know that can pull this off also is a trio - albeit a Canadian one: Rush. Primus's connection with Rush is clear on their first album, where the intro to YYZ is used as the intro to the fantastic John the Fisherman.

However, I did not come easy to Primus. There were aspects I liked, but Les Claypool's voice is an acquired taste. I liked that they used Tom Waits on one of their songs, but then there were weird songs as well, such as Eleven. In the end, three songs really won me over: Tommy the Cat, featuring Tom Waits, Fish On, and American Life, and today it's time to listen to American Life!


No comments: