Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Match 22 - John Coltrane Stereo Blues

It's hard to decide on a song for today. After yesterday's roller coaster with surgery and hospitals and doctors' visits, I don't quite know what to play. Or what I want to hear. Yesterday's song was more appropriate than I wanted to be given the days' chaotic nature, so today I need something equally appropriate - but I am stuck.

Or rather I was stuck. Once again, a song starter materializing. Mirroring the monotony of a hospital with its single chord as well as the chaos going on in a day with appointments and surgeries, The Dream Syndicate's John Coltrane Stereo Blues is the perfect companion to a night at the hospital. This song is from the fantastic The Medicine Show from 1984, and it's a song that bandleader and songwriter Steve Wynn keeps taking out on long and meandering excursions when he plays it live. To me it's a masterpiece - but to others it's an acquired taste...


No comments: