Saturday, March 05, 2016

March 5 - After The Fall

I don't think I ever want to let 1991 go. After I started looking back at it, there was so much good music released that year, music that I almost started forgetting about. One album that I didn't discover in 1991, was Elvis Costello's Mighty Like A Rose. I think my interest in Elvis Costello started in 1994, when I picked up a copy of The Very Best Of Elvis Costello & The Attractions. Of course, my good friend and fellow immigrant Svein Ola had been listening to him for a long time by then, and he had tried convincing me of Costello's greatness years before (in particular I remember him pointing out King of America and Imperial Ballroom as great albums), but it wasn't until I was at a book- and record store in Molde while I was at Hustad Leir as part of the community service I did as a conscientious objector to military service.

After picking up the compilation album, I started doing what I so often do, which is to dive deeper into the artist's discography, and I eventually got to the solo albums, Spike and Mighty Like A Rose, released in 1989 and 1991, and the adventurous music they contained. Today's song is a fairly lamenting song that lifts the minor to the major in the chorus. I hope you like it as much as I do.


No comments: