Monday, March 21, 2016

March 21 - Fugazi

It's Monday again, and the wold isn't looking any better than it did last week. Trump is gathering his red caps, taking his flirt with fascism closer and closer to the 1930s Germany every day (not that anyone who supports him will agree with me there, but that's what I get for living in a country that looks down on education). Over and over again I hear the phrase "the world is totally Fugazi" in my mind, and I realize it is the song that is bursting out, trying to break free, so I will set it free. The word Fugazi is reportedly an acronym - but I'll let you look it up. Suffice it to say that it really means that things are going to hell in a handbasket (apparently they don't have metal detectors at the entrance to hell).

This song is from the 80s, from the first Marillion - although there isn't really a first and a second Marillion officially - but the line was drawn when extremely tall and larger than life Scottish singer Fish (Derek Dick - I think I'd choose Fish as a name as well) was ousted and replaced with far more mild mannered h. (Steve Hogarth). There are four studio albums in the canon of the first Marillion, and the title track from the second album is as appropriate today as it was in Reagan and Thatcher's world of 1984. Do you realize the world is totally Fugazi?


No comments: