Wednesday, March 16, 2016

March 16 - Weight

In the days before the rise of the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, Isis could be one of three things. Most people had heard of the Egyptian god, quite a few had heard the spectacular Bob Dylan song of the same name, and then there was the band Isis. Led by Aaron Turner on guitar and vocals, a hugely talented musician and visual artist with a strong artistic vision, co-founders Jeff Caxide on bass and Aaron Harris on drums were also with the band until the end. The line-up that was active for just about their entire career (all regular releases) was rounded out by Bryant Clifford Meyer on guitar, keyboards, and electronics, and Michael Gallagher on guitar.

I was introduced to Isis at Vertigo Music. In 2009, they had just released their final album, Wavering Radiant, and it was playing as I entered the store. I loved their aesthetics, both visually and sonically, so I did what I always do: I went back and completed their discography for my collection. Isis was formed in 1997, and they released a couple of EPs in the 90s with earlier members, but by 2000 they had found the lineup that lasted until they broke up in 2010. I greatly respect their decision to break up the band, because their statement was very clear and simple: "This end isn't something that occurred over night and it hasn't been brought about by a single cataclysmic fracture in the band. Simply put, ISIS has done everything we wanted to do, said everything we wanted to say. In the interest of preserving the love we have of this band, for each other, for the music made and for all the people who have continually supported us, it is time to bring it to a close." I only could wish that other bands did the same.

By the time of their second album, Oceanic, from 2002, they had really gone from having a very abrasive sound to building things slowly. The abrasive elements would be there throughout their career, but their songs were all about building and layering, and Weight from Oceanic is a great example of this - although it doesn't have the abrasive elements - at least not to my ears or the same extent as some of the other songs.

Isis isn't for everyone. Some days they aren't even for me. That goes with a lot of the music I listen to. Some of the music I listen to has elements I can't stand unless I am in the right frame of mind for it. I can't listen to the most aggressive metal I like unless I am ok with a wall of sound punctuated by someone imitating cookie monster while belting out obscenities and perversions. But there are days when I am not just ok with it, I need it - or at least crave it. I can't listen to jazz or the more complex music I listen to unless my mind is ready to fully engage with the music either. I don't expect that part is very different from a lot of people, but I do find it interesting that there are days when I can't stand some of my favorite music. Today, though, it is all about the water. All about Weight.


No comments: