Monday, August 14, 2017

2017 - August 14 - Stranger Than Kindness

I have been thinking about playing some Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds for a while now, but not been sure what song to play. Then I decided to play a little bit from Live From KCRW, a live album from 2013. KCRW is an LA radio station that is responsible for the show Morning Becomes Eclectic, which was the basis for the Rare On Air series that I have touched on before.

The song Stranger Than Kindness has been one of my favorite Nick Cave songs in terms of mood - and that really says a lot. However, I never thought it was fully realized on the studio version from Your Funeral... My Trial, the 1986 album by Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - there was something about the sound that didn't quite work for me. Well, it really works in this live version. Barry Adamson is the only member left from the 1986 incarnation of the Bad Seeds, but he has moved from bass to organ. Jim Sclavunos (drums) and Martin P Casey (bass) are the driving rhythm section, but it is Warren Ellis' crisp guitar that really provides the vehicle for Nick Cave's words, sung better than on the original.


No comments: