Friday, August 18, 2017

2017 - August 18 - In Germany Before The War

Sometimes I have musical moments that defy description. I recently won a gift card for Amazon.com, and I decided to purchase some music by Randy Newman - because I didn't have any of his music before. I decided to go with the 3 cd box set The Randy Newman Songbook, where it is just him and his piano doing selections from his long career. It had some of the songs I already knew I loved, such as The Great Nations Of Europe, Short People, and You've Got A Friend In Me. Then there was one title that looked really interesting (well, there were more, but... this one really stood out), and that was In Germany Before The War. And then I played it. And it is so unsettling. His use of melody and contrast and chords... I really have no words. Just listen.


No comments: