Thursday, August 24, 2017

2017 - August 24 - Ten Tons

So I've been a little experimental and Norwegian lately. Today's song is also by a Norwegian band, but this is straight forward rock'n'roll - Ten Tons of it, to be exact. Stage Dolls is a great Norwegian power trio with Torsten Flakne on guitar and vocals, Terje Storli on bass, and Morten Skogseth's on drums. Their debut album, Soldier's Gun, was released in 1985, but it was their third album, simply called Stage Dolls, that reached a broader audience. They released it in the US as well, and the song Love Cries reached #46 on the Billboard singles chart. Not stellar, but enough to raise eyebrows back in Norway.

For me it was exciting that a band based in Trondheim actually did ok for a Norwegian band in the US, but while I did like them, I wasn't liking the Bon Jovi-ey slickness on the Stage Dolls album. I always had a soft spot for a song from their debut album. It was not a single, but I get goosebumps every time I hear the intro riff - and to me it delivers all Ten Tons of rock'n'roll.


No comments: