Saturday, April 23, 2016

April 23 - All Apologies

I love today's song. It is another fitting ending to a recording career, as it is the last song on the last studio album Kurt Cobain recorded with Nirvana. I will say that I find that Kurt Cobain is highly overrated as a songwriter and musician. That does not mean that I think he was without talent - quite the contrary - but that I think that he in his suicide reached a top that he otherwise would have had to climb to. This is not something new - there are several examples of artists that died young and reached a mythical status in their death, such as Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, and Jimi Hendrix - but Kurt Cobain was the first in my lifetime, and I was still curious to where he would go next.

It is tough when someone finds that even though he has a lot to live for, it isn't enough - it is outweighed by a desire for death or non-existence. I think that his death was foreshadowed in All Apologies, which closed Nirvana's 1994 album In Utero. Following his death it is even more harrowing than it was when it was released.


No comments: