Wednesday, April 06, 2016

April 6 - Mogwai Fear Satan

I love songs that just build and build and build, and Scottish post-rockers Mogwai are experts at doing just that. Now, I did use the term post-rock just now, but I really don't like it. I really don't know what it means - which means that all I just did was repeat a term I had heard used about Mogwai just because it seemed like the right thing to do. To me, trying to put a label on everything still is an easy way out. Mogwai's music is something I would prefer to have people hear rather than read about - and Mogwai Fear Satan is a great introduction. It is a simple theme that gets more and more layered as the song goes on. Pay close attention to how the bass is used to alter the tension and the meaning of the three note ascending melody line that is carried through the guitar. Play it loud and let this song wash over you - it is a very soul-cleansing song.


No comments: