Friday, November 17, 2017

2016 - November 17 - Amazing

Johnette Napolitano was in the band Concrete Blonde, a band with moderate success in the alternative scene, especially with their third album, Bloodletting. Their lead singer, Johnette Napolitano, has a great way with words, writing fabulous lyrics, and she has a very vulnerable voice with an edge to it. I liked Concrete Blonde and got a chance to meet them when they played in my hometown in 1988 or 89, following the release of Free, their second (and my favorite) album. I only met the guys in the band, although Johnette Napolitano was in the room, and I didn't see them perform. I had places to be that night that involved a girl I was pursuing (unsuccessfully, as usual) - but meeting an actual American band, even though they weren't that big, made a lasting impression on me.

In 2007, 10 years ago, Johnette Napolitano released the album Scarred. I am not sure how I ended up finding out about it - but I did purchase it, and when I heard the song Amazing, I think my heart almost stopped. It is the best representation of feeling inadequate I have ever heard in song. And it is so worth listening to again...


No comments: