Thursday, November 09, 2017

2017 - November 9 - The Kiss

My last post - from last week - was Southern Gothic. And then I started reading the book The Night of the Moths by Riccardo Bruni (one of this month's selections for Kindle First, where Amazon Prime members can get a book for free every month - before the publishing date). And there was a reference to The Cure and the Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me album. And knowing how The Cure was seen as a goth band (that's the connection to Southern Gothic), I thought it would be nice to play a song from Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me - and then I realized that it's 30 years old this year. 1987 was when it was released, and that was right around the time I was introduced to them as well. Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me was my gateway drug to The Cure, and I still find it to be a most excellent album. I like albums that sprawl and don't confine themselves to one style (just listen to Demon Box by Motorpsycho, and you will know what I mean), and Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me does not disappoint. From longer, epic sounding songs to short, catchy pop tunes with an underlying melancholy, Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me is to me a masterpiece - and I like it better than Disintegration, the follow up album that really launched them to massive world wide success and often is referred to as their crowning moment.

The Quietus, which is an excellent online magazine with great articles about the arts, has a really nice review of that can be found at http://thequietus.com/articles/22262-the-cure-kiss-me-kiss-me-kiss-me-review-anniversary - and inspired by that, I chose my song for the day. It is the closest thing to a title track - and it is also the song that really got me completely turned on to The Cure. I remember teenage days with curtains completely drawn so no light would come into my room, and The Kiss on the stereo. For your own sake, play it loudly and let guitars wash over you until you drown in the sound. It is such an amazing sonic experience to me to listen to this song - and I can do it over and over and over again.




No comments: