Friday, November 10, 2017

2017 - November 10 - Catch

With an album that repeats one phrase (kiss me) three times in the title, I think it is appropriate to play three songs in a row. At least it makes for a heck of a great excuse to stay with the album for another couple of days. And today's song really follows the track order of the album. The song Catch also made it as a single with an accompanying video - The Cure had used Tim Pope to make a lot of their videos, and Catch is no exception. Tim Pope was a very prolific music video director, particularly in the mid to late 80s, and his vision really helped frame The Cure's quirky image - and took them out of the dark shadows of early goth into a much more playful mode, which sometimes contrasted with the songs.

Robert Smith's lyrical genius also shows up here - I have always been drawn to the phrase "And I used to sometimes try to catch her, but I never even caught her name." There is an uplifting melancholy to the song that I think is pretty unique to The Cure. Catch!