Sunday, November 26, 2017

2017 - November 26 - Heroes

I almost think I could spend a week with just playing cover versions of David Bowie’s signature song Heroes - and maybe I will do just that. But today I just start with one of them - a version I just stumbled across right now.

I still remember how I really heard Depeche Mode for the first time... Believe it or not, but I was at farmor’s (my grandmother) place - she had cable, and I would sometimes turn on the music channel - not sure if it was MTV or Sky Channel. And I saw one song from the 101 concert movie. It was Everything Counts. And I don’t know if it was because I realized they really were a band and not a producer constellation or the fact that Everything Counts is a great song, but I really liked it. And then they released songs that were so much closer to my sonic sphere with Personal Jesus from Violator and I Feel You from Songs of Faith and Devotion, and I relented. I have great respect for the work they have done and for their sonic landscape.

It is to this sonic landscape they took Heroes. We are not talking earth shattering or mind bending, but it is rock solid. Dave Gahan’s voice really fits the song, Martin Gore’s treatment of the guitar riff makes it interesting - and it’s all played up against Andy Fletcher’s synthesized backdrop. I like this version a lot!


No comments: