Monday, November 20, 2017

2017 - November 20 - Ride On (for Malcolm Young)

I wouldn't call it unexpected. AC/DC's vastly underappreciated rhythm guitarist Malcom Young passed away Saturday after a long time's illness that already had him retiring from the band in 2014. My road to discovering him parallels what so many have talked about in his memorials and testimonials. It first was Bon Scott and Angus Young (even though I really only discovered them after  Brian Johnson had taken over the mic), the singer and the crazy schoolboy guitarist, who drew me in. Then, years later, I realized the minimalist genious of the rhythm section - a rhythm section that really  included the rhythm guitarist and riff factory Malcolm Young.

It was interesting watching him on stage. His stance is wider than Larry Craig's in the Minneapolis airport bathroom stall, always in the background, and never flashy. He always seemed content - but may even have been excited - to lay the foundation for brother Angus' antics and flashiness. Not to mention the two larger than life singers he backed up.

While I may have discovered the joy and excitement of being part of the musical backdrop because I never developed the skills to be a good lead guitarist and dropped to bass as a result, I am still greatly appreciative of all the unsung heroes in bands. John Paul Jones in Led Zeppelin, Bill Ward in Black Sabbath. And Malcolm Young in AC/DC. Ride On, Malcolm...


No comments: