Wednesday, May 18, 2016

May 18 - The City Sleeps

I have to confess that today's song isn't so much about distilling one album into one song, but how music and lyrics work together to create a very, very chilling effect. I was never very deeply into rap and hip hop. There are some bands and artists that I liked for their creativity and some for crossover appeal (after all, using Kerry King for a guitar solo was a great ploy by Beastie Boys to get metal heads to listen to them - and then it turns out they were good even without distorted guitars). I liked Eminem for the way he created a world around himself lyrically - even though it wasn't a world I wanted to be a part of. But before Eminem, there was MC 900 Ft. Jesus.

Studentradioen had received a nifty little compilation called Rare On Air Vol. II, a collection of songs performed at the LA radio station KCRW at their Morning Becomes Eclectic show. KCRW is a public radio station, and I like the first line in their About KCRW description: "KCRW creates and curates a unique mix of content centered around music discovery, NPR news, cultural exploration and informed public affairs." I am completely sold when it later says that, "KCRW DJs are given one directive: 'play what you love.'" This is the kind of music station I believe everyone should be listening to (and you can at kcrw.com).

Anyway, Rare On Air Vol II is nothing short of a great compilation. Featuring songs like Sweet Ride by Tanya Donelly, Lloyd Cole covering Leonard Cohen's Famous Blue Raincoat, and JJ Cale singing his Cajun Moon it is indeed an eclectic collection - and the highlight is this spectacular story. It sucks me in when I don't know what he's up to - and then when I realize it... I get chills - and not from joy... This is really storytelling at its best - rapidly approaching perfection - a great way to use rap to tell a story that otherwise easily could drown in music. So kick back and enjoy MC 900 Ft Jesus tell you what he likes to do while The City Sleeps.



No comments: