Thursday, May 19, 2016

May 19 - Mercy Street

Peter Gabriel's album So has already been visited twice this year, and in the quest for perfection in a song, I find that in yet another gem from So. It's interesting to me that the two biggest hits from the album, Sledgehammer and Big Time, are the two least interesting songs - at least to me. I've already played In Your Eyes and Don't Give Up, so what can be left?

Today I bring you Mercy Street. This is such a beautiful song, with outstanding lyrics again. I knew there was a literary angle to them, but I have only recently discovered this little article, exploring that a little closer: Anne Sexton’s Original Poem “45 Mercy Street”: The Genesis of Peter Gabriel’s “Mercy Street” The song is for the poet Anne Sexton, who committed suicide in 1974 - please read the linked article for additional information.

Peter Gabriel builds a very minimalistic accompaniment to the song, using swirling percussion, soft synths, and the subtle bass tones of Tony Levin to create an atmosphere more than a full on musical foundation.  This is perfection in subtlety. This is Peter Gabriel at his best. This is Mercy Street.


No comments: