Wednesday, May 04, 2016

May 4 - Don't Drink The Water

So I know today is Star Wars day (May the 4th be with you); however, I will let Star Wars rest today and rather keep going on my jam band spree - and today's song is not about the Flint water crisis, even though the title may seem that way. Dave Matthews Band initially snuck up on me, but after visiting Svein in Sioux Falls on a family vacation, I started getting slightly more hooked. I know his brother, Jarl Arne, was a huge DMB fan, but I was also exposed to more of his music on that visit and did end up purchasing all studio releases plus a few live albums.

DMB is often linked with the jam band scene, but to me it seems to be more about the long and unpredictable shows they play than heavy improvisation - but it's been a while since I listened to them now, so my memory might be gone. However, their live dynamics are indeed spectacular, and a great example of this is the song Don't Drink The Water from The Central Park Concert.


No comments: