Monday, May 02, 2016

May 2 - Stash

Today's song is from the very first Phish album I ever owned. I joined Columbia Record Club, which allowed me to get 10 cds for a very low price - with no more to buy, ever (I think - because I think I could get the regular purchases with my introductory offer). And so I was exposed to Phish through A Live One, which to my ears is a most excellent jam band. And since I like improvisations, it really fits my taste well. Today's song is highly melodic - and is not as clearly improvisational as much of their other music, but it is still there... And I am loving the guitar lines and the "maybe so, maybe not" lines that get repeated leading in to the heavier improvisation. Trey Anastasio is a guitar player with both a great tone and a melodic and fluid yet exploratory playing style, and I greatly enjoy his improvisations - but then the band goes off as well. John Fishman keeps time well with the drums, but has interesting fills; I love Page McConnell's grand piano work, and Mike Gordon's bass is very, very interesting to follow as well. Just listen to how this entire song breaks into chaos with Fishman steadily keeping time on the hi-hat, McConnell hammering one chord, emphasized by Gordon's bass, and Trey Anastasio playing short repeated patterns (ostinatos) on top - then listen to the climactic resolution starting at 11:05. It breaks down a little bit again before getting to another run at the "maybe so, maybe not" with the guitar melody joining in. Goosebumps. Stash.




No comments: