Thursday, May 26, 2016

May 26 - Intermezzo #1

ABBA time! Aside from acknowledging that they were a great pop band, I am really no ABBA fan. I was - my parents played a lot of ABBA for me growing up, and I was very exited when I got ABBA The Album - and later when I got an LP shaped gum in the Super Trouper cover in a bag of mixed candy sometime in the late 70s - or maybe even early 80s. However, there is one exception to my slight indifference towards ABBA , and that is their instrumentals. I remember two off the top of my head - Arrival, which later also was covered by Mike Oldfield, and my favorite instrumentsl, Intermezzo No. 1 from their third album, which simply was called ABBA and released in 1976. This really shows the songwriting skills of Ulvaeus and Andreson - skills that really shone years later when they wrote the musical Chess.

Instrumentally, I don't know too many piano players who make the grand piano sound grander than Björn Ulvaeus - at least not in pop and rock (Steve Nieve from The Attractions used Ulvaeus' piano sound as a template for the sound on Oliver's Army, according to Elvis Costello's autobiography - I was very excited to read that my suspicion was confirmed). Benny Anderson also showcases his more rocking tendencies - and the blend between very traditional rock and roll and more classicaly inspired melody lines is applied with perfection.


No comments: