Monday, May 30, 2016

May 30 - Romeo & Juliet

I spent the first half of last week reading a book. It was a really, really good book - at least it was to me - and today's song is featured heavily in the book as a way to establish a connection between two of the main characters in the book. The book was The Fireman, and the author is Joe Hill. I first found Joe Hill when I found the graphic novel Locke & Key, and I knew nothing else about him. I had no idea who he was - even less who his parents were. The bottom line is none of that matters, because Joe Hill is a mighty fine author, and in The Fireman he created an apocalyptic world that is as believable as it is scary - and the real horror is found in what we as humans can do to one another.

Music is in the very fabric of the novel. It is a conduit for connection and for emotion - but most of all, the way he writes about the songs is great for someone like me. He will refer to songs by lines or topic more than he will use titles, which really makes my inner music geek shine with joy. The song I chose for today is Romeo & Juliet by Dire Straits. I've always loved the guitar intro, but the song is also pretty darn good. While it isn't my favorite Dire Straits song, it is most certainly a great song for today!


No comments: