Sunday, May 22, 2016

May 22 - Vortex Surfer

You didn't really think I could do this quest for the perfect song without including Motorpsycho, did you? The closest I think they ever came to perfection in the studio happened in 1998, when they released the sprawling masterpiece Trust Us, which really served as a summary of Motorpsycho in the 90s - although I didn't know that at the time, when I was roaming around with a tape with most of the songs from the double CD (I had to cut a couple of short ones to make it fit on the cassette I had available - I seem to remember it was a 90 minute one, but given that the playing time is just over 80 minutes, that cannot be the case).

Anyway, Trust Us was the last album Motorpsycho released in the 90s, and when they returned in 2000 with Let Them Eat Cake, there was a jazzy west coast pop feel to them. It was still a good album, but something seemed to be missing. The Trust Us tour and the following Roadwork tour were also the last two tours I saw them on, and I think I can say that I got to see them at the top of their early game on those two tours. Today's song, Vortex Surfer, was one of the highlights of both tours - it is a cathartic song that truly taps into my emotions, and it also shows a band that really knew how to play with dynamics. It was voted the song of the millennium in Norwegian radio and was played continuously for 24 hours on December 31, 1999 as the new millennium was approaching.


No comments: