Tuesday, May 03, 2016

May 3 - Whipping Post

Okay - so I have another red thread this week, and it is jam bands. I will be on the fringes a little bit with some of the selections, but I think I can justify it. And today's jam band is The Allman Brothers Band - one of the original jam bands. Their live recording At Fillmore East is one heck of an album, with very long extended jams on both In Memory of Elizabeth Reed and today's song, Whipping Post, as well as the 30+ minute long Mountain Jam.

The original Allman Brothers Band really had two brothers in it: Duane, the bandleader, on guitar, and Gregg on keyboards and vocals; however, Duane Allman died in a motorcycle accident in October 1971, mere months after this recording (from March 1971), and bassist Berry Oakley died in a motorcycle accidents just block away about a year later. The band's line-up at Fillmore East had two guitar players, with Dickey Betts being the second lead guitar player, and two drummers, Jaimoe and Butch Trucks, a line-up that allowed them great musical flexibility.

I discovered The Allman Brothers Band through Frank Zappa, who had a cover version of Whipping Post on his Them or Us album from 1984 - and he played it frequently live as well with Bobby Martin on vocals. Then I heard You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 2 - The Helsinki Concert - and the audience keeps asking for Whipping Post. That concert was from 1974, and knowing som of Zappa's sense of humor, I am assuming that playing it in 1984 was more of a joke to him than anything else - but it doesn't matter, because the version was great. Then Ken DeLong, one of my very esteemed faculty colleagues at MCC let me listen to Eat A Peach, their first album after Duane's death, and that's when I decided I needed to listen to At Fillmore East - and that brings us to today. Their version of Whipping Post is more than 20 glorious minutes long. Now, when I say that, there are moments in here where they seem a little off - but that is the danger and allure with a great jam, as everything is spontaneous, and when it works it really works - but when it doesn't... It's not always that great. However, despite a few moments of losing concentration, this is indeed a great version of Whipping Post.


No comments: