Wednesday, June 01, 2016

June 1 - Bibel

Since I wasn't able to find a version of Rock'n'roll Är Död by Imperiet, but had to go to Thåström's solo career to find it for yesterday's song, I thought I could revisit Imperiet as early as today. The song is another one of my favorites - this was a band I really got into in the late 80s and early 90s thanks to my very good friend Vegard. Out of all my friends, he was the one with the most alternative music in his collection. His record collection was about as schizophrenic as mine is - on one side you had the really slick and produced music of Mike Oldfield and Chris deBurgh, and on the other side you had the very roughly produced alternative rock and hardcore coming out of Trondheim's alternative music scene. And then there was Imperiet. He was my doorway to this great Swedish band. I still remember him talking about how great they were when they came to Trondheim on their farewell tour. I believe their last concert there was held on September 8, 1988 - and he was there.

I borrowed the albums and listened to them - and I fell in love with them. Some of them took longer to like than others, but eventually their two final albums, Synd (Sin) and Tiggarens Tal (The Beggar's Speech) became studio favorites, but it was the live albums that really hit me - especially the live part of their Studio/Live album, which I borrowed from Vegard until I finally purchased the CD myself. It opened with Rock'n'roll Är Död, and today we'll hear the closing track, which also is from the album Synd from 1986.


No comments: