Tuesday, June 14, 2016

June 14 - Smells Like Teen Spirit

OK - so yesterday's version of Baby Please Don't Go set me off in a direction of cover versions. Now, Baby Please Don't Go is more part of a living blues tradition than a more modern cover version approach - while it was very common for musicians to take traditional blues tunes (also because of a much looser approach to song rights and following the pattern established with traditional music) and mold them more an more into their own style, the more modern approach to making music is more concerned with preserving recordings and the value thereof rather than passing music along organically from musician to musician. Also, when I got to work yesterday, I heard the music of Tori Amos playing Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit, which further inspired me. And, finally, I really like Russian nesting dolls. Ever since I got one from my farfar (paternal grandfather in Norwegian) as a little kid, I have had a thing for them. So I am going to try to make this work this way this week: Today we have Tori Amos covering Nirvana. Tomorrow, Nirvana will cover...? It won't be a surprise, really - given my fandom status of this artist, but still... And then Thursday that person will cover someone else. I will try to avoid tribute compilations - but I don't quite know where I will end up yet, so bear with me (it's not all mapped out yet...).

So, without further ado, here is Tori Amos singing Smells Like Teen Spirit!


No comments: