Wednesday, June 29, 2016

June 29 - SOS

Yup, I've played this song before. But that was before I heard Portishead's version. And their version is even better than Israelvis' version. But then again I love Portishead - I have since I first heard the single Glory Box from Dummy. They arose in the 90s and were quickly labeled trip hop, which was a genre that appealed to me. However, I don't know that I really can put their music in an easily labeled box. It's true that some of their rhythms owe a lot to trip hop, but they often have a dissonant and coarse guitar in their songs that breaks with the smoothness characterizing trip hop. But for me, the bottom line is this: It's damned good music. And so it is with  SOS, which they dedicated to recently assassinated English politician Jo Cox. This is the good stuff!


No comments: