Friday, June 03, 2016

June 3 - When The Music's Over

While I can't say that I was introduced to The Doors through the book Beatles by Lars Saabye Christensen, it isn't far from the truth. The part about Strange Days isn't long, but it is very expressive, and it has stuck with me ever since I first read this great novel. Lars Saabye Christensen is a master of Oslo in the 1960s - that's when and where he came of age, and he has visited that time period over and over again - but I don't think he ever did it as well as he did in Beatles, which is a novel I encourage everyone to read.

His description of When The Music's Over culminates with the following statement: "The silence afterwards was overwhelming, even in the sitting room they had taken a break." When I heard When The Music's Over for the first time, I felt the same way.


No comments: