Saturday, September 17, 2016

September 17 - Big Empty

Today's song is a departure from the last three days. I discovered Stone Temple Pilots in 1994, when I went to the movies to see the movie The Crow. It was a pretty good comic book adaptation - and it got infamous because the lead, Brandon Lee, son of kung fu movie legend Bruce Lee, died during the filming of the movie. If I remember correctly, he was shot with a prop gun that wasn't exactly loaded with the blanks it was supposed to be. But the soundtrack. Oh the soundtrack. The Cure, Rollins Band, Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against The Machine, Helmet, Pantera... Oh yes, it was good. It was THAT good. And then, in the midst of goth, heavy metal, and industrial rock, there is this little acoustic gem by a band called Stone Temple Pilots.

They were never quite as big in Norway as I understand they were in the States, although they had reasonable success back home as well (their best selling album, Purple, reached #1 here, but only # 11 in Norway). The song was Big Empty. It might not be the best known song from the album Purple, which is where it ended up on their regular releases - Interstate Love Song and Vasoline were certainly bigger hits - but it certainly was able to showcase the exquisite vulnerability in Scott Weiland's voice, the sensibility of his lyrics, and a wonderful melody. To me, for some reason, this is desert music. I feel like I am in a warm, dry place, laid back and relaxed - and just enjoying the moment. I hope you will enjoy it with me.


No comments: