Wednesday, September 21, 2016

September 21 - I'm Mandy, Fly Me

Since I talked a little bit about Graham Gouldman yesterday as the songwriter for Herman's Hermits, I thought it appropriate to talk a little bit about what he is most known for: 10CC. 4 seasoned multi-instrumentalists, songwriters, and session musicians who got together to form a spectacular pop band that merged the artsy duo of Kevin Godly and Lol Creme with the pop sensibilities of Graham Gouldman and Eric Stewart.

My middle school music teacher, Reidar Fiske, was never missing an opportunity to talk about 10CC as if they were some modern era Mozart or something like that. Whatever it was, I wasn't buying it. Sure, Dreadlock Holiday was a great song, and I'm Not In Love was a great ballad, but I wasn't quite sold on them as a band. Fast forward 30 years, and I will often play their Greatest Hits in my car with Alison, who really likes Rubber Bullets. I, on the other hand, really like today's song, I'm Mandy, Fly Me. So thanks, Reidar Fiske. You really knew what you were talking about in music class!


No comments: