Saturday, September 03, 2016

September 3 - Leather

In 1992, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden made Seattle the center of the world - and the world was ruled by grunge. And in the midst of all that, a skinny redhead from Baltimore and her piano had the audacity to cover the international grunge anthem Smells Like Teen Spirit. I loved that version - but that was not what made me listen to Tori Amos. I remember my first meeting with her music vividly. I was visiting my friend Leif, who told me I needed to listen to this - then he played me the song Leather from her Little Earthquakes album. I was hooked by the opening lines:

"Look I'm standing naked before you
Don't you want more than my sex
I can scream as loud as your last one
But I can't claim innocence. "

I am still blown away by those lines - she shows an unapologetic display of female sexuality without being vulgar. It's a song well worth listening to.


No comments: